What is the recipe for a successful blockchain game? The major insight from Crypto Games Conference 2018


Crypto Games Conference, which took place on October 17-18, was a very crowded place: more than 600 visitors, more than 100 companies and startups, presenting their projects. Speakers, executives and leading developers from various companies, related to blockchain gaming, had their presentations in both conference halls. The conference attracted many attendees, including representatives of several investment funds, crypto and traditional ones, and made them familiar with a lot of new games – from dragon battles to drug dealer simulator.

Games with no gameplay

One of the most discussed topics was a lack of actual gameplay in blockchain games.

The speakers from DAO.Casino and TrueFlip shared very curious statistics with the audience. According to them, focusing on technical aspects of blockchain-based casino doesn’t improve user experience and engagement. Users can check the code, to be sure that the random number generator isn’t messed up on behalf of the casino, which is a pretty common practice among various online and offline casinos. However, only 3% of users visit the code explanation page with proofs, the remaining 97% can’t read code or don’t want to check it, trusting to casino developers and to these 3% that check the code. That goes against the common belief of the most blockchain startups, suggesting that their users and the whole blockchain community are the hardcore coders, who care mostly about decentralization and transparency.

The most important aspects for blockchain casino users are the visual component and the engaging gameplay. For blockchain-based RPGs and crypto collectible games it becomes even more crucial to offer something actually worth the time and money of its users, because the underlying blockchain technology isn’t interesting anymore, it requires something else to capture a user’s attention, an actual gameplay.

The discussion on this topic was held on the panel dedicated the blockchain-influenced transformation of the game industry. Speakers and attendees mentioned CryptoKitties as the project, whose popularity peaked in January, and which currently lost all its user base. It had nothing to offer to its users, apart from an interesting idea and the first mover advantage.

A promising project

Even the most technologically advanced game won’t be able to gain enough players if it won’t keep its focus on gameplay, visual style, story and characters.

A good example of this mechanic is Dragonereum, that received a lot of positive reviews from players during the beta test. Dragonereum team promotes the project as a game where blockchain mechanics merge with full-fledged gameplay.

Despite being very innovative in terms of technologies, using more than 30 smart contracts, and having 60 paged whitepaper, concentrated on mathematical rules of the backend code, visually it can be compared with classic off-chain RPG games: stylish dragons, each one of them belonging to one of many elements, having unique stats and special attacks, and having an unique battle animation for every dragon species.

As for gameplay, it’s even more complex and interesting than anything that the market could offer before: Dragonereum has a well-thought inner market inside the game, the possibility to make bets on the outcomes of dragon battles, to breed and level up pet dragons. Of course, a player can earn real cryptocurrency tokens in the game.

What’s next?

Judging by the great variety of blockchain projects, shown at the conference, and the interest of the large publishers such as Sony and Ubisoft in blockchain gaming, in the near future we’ll see blockchain games with a really engaging gameplay. By the way, the launch of Dragonereum may happen soon, during Devcon in Prague at the beginning of November. You can look at the visual style and read the rules on the official website //dragonereum.io/.